Part of a £3 million HLF funded restoration of this historic Victorian park, Mosedale Gillatt Architects designed a new heritage centre, providing much needed facilities including education, cafe and office spaces.
Close to the city centre and offering views over the city. Wharton Park originally opened in 1858. It has been the site of many public, political and celebratory events over the years, including the first Durham Miner’s Gala. Re-opened in May 2016 it’s felt that this restoration will allow it to carry on this role for many years to come.
Our work in the Park also included the restoration of a Grade II listed viewing structure known as The Battery, providing what is felt to be one of the finest views over Durham in the area.